My brother-in-law Ivy "Jim" Starks passed away last week tragically after falling out of a tree he was cutting down. He just turned 53 years young. His passion outside of family was hunting. Some of my earliest hunting memories are with Jim. He was larger than life. Big barrel chested with a heart of gold. Kids were drawn to him because I believe they can sense the true nature of a man's being. I spoke with Jim and invited him up to my home in northern Illinois for the spring Turkey season the week before he died. We were both excited about it. I will not get the opportunity now to make that memory with him physically, but as I walk out this spring with my bow in hand, he will be there with me spiritually.
My earliest hunting memory with Jim happened when I was probably 16 years old. He took me squirrel hunting down in Missouri. He told me to start walking down this old logging road. o with gun in hand and not knowing what to expect I set out. Not 10 minutes go by and a shot rang out behind me. Not long after another shot, then yet another soon after. After the third shot I stopped walking. Jim comes walking up the same path I was on with 3 squirrels hanging on his side. I asked him how he was able to shoot 3 squirrels in that short of time when I had not even seen one. He smiled with his eyes gleaming and explained to me how he did it. He said as I was walking down the road making all kinds of noise the squirrels were tracking around the backside of the trees hiding from me. As I walked on by the squirrels would expose themselves to Jim who was just behind me out of sight. A lesson learned. Jim-3 phil-0.
He was such a hunter that a lot of people who were close to him wore little patches of camoflauge at the Wake and Funeral. I feel fortunate to have spent time with him hunting on many occasions. This tragedy should teach us all that there are only so many seasons in life. Take nothing for granted and live your life as if there's no time left. Thank you Jim Starks for all of the lessons and memories. You will be missed.

Views: 0

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

He sounds like a great guy I'm sure he will be missed ,His memory will live on in the young ones you teach to hunt
Keep his spirit alive, sorry about your loss.
Sorry for your loss.
Sorry to hear about your loss.
Sorry to here about your loss, my father past away just before hunting season, seemed like I would never get threw that year, though I know deep down he'd want me to go on and be successful, so I did still miss him dearly wished he'd be here to see how much I learned from my teacher.
Memories are everything some make me cry some make me smile, to lose somebody is tough, sounds like Jim was great guy my condolences go out to his family and friends.
Sorry for the loss of a good friend!
My deepest sympathies to you. May his memories keep your spirits high, and teach others how to hunt squirrels just like he taught you. Memories live forever. Always keep his memories alive. Peace be with you and his family.
Sorry man.
sorry to hear of your loss.i lost my son last year and although it takes time to get over it(you never really do) the best way to deal for me is to think each day of one specific memory about him that made you happy.you probably are sick of hearing it but time will help.sounds like many good memories have been shared ....hold on to them,they help.god bless

Reply to Discussion

RSS

PHOTOS & VIDEOS

SPONSORS

FOLLOW US

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by American Bowhunter.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service